|By Kevin Dee,
CEO at Eagle
This article originally appeared on the Eagle Blog on February 9th, 2015
We all know those “glass half full” people who always seem to be positive. We also know negative people who always seem to have something to complain about. Both of these characters can have a profound effect on our own mood, lifting our spirits or dragging us down.
The best thing you can do for your own happiness is to seek out the positive people, and spend as little time as possible with the negative people!
Positive people are a joy to be around, their energy is contagious and even inspiring. When we spend time with them we feel good about ourselves, they lift our spirits and we too are more positive.
Negative people have a way of sucking the life out of you. There is always some problem and it is everybody else’s fault. They have a black cloud hanging over them and they pull you under it too!
“Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?” Dennis and Wendy Mannering
Here are some ideas for you:
- Make a list of the people you spend your time with and rank them on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is very negative and 10 is very positive.
- For all of the people that scored extremely low create a plan to either stop spending time with them, or at a minimum reduce the time you spend with them.
- For all the very positive people, make a plan to try and spend more time with them.
- Join organisations that have positive people … entrepreneurial organisations, learning organisations and charities are just some great examples.
- Do your part … be one of those positive people that others seek out.
This is easier said than done, but you can make a plan to improve things over time, just by increasing the time spent with positive people and decreasing the time spent with negative people.
Three classic issues you will need to contend with:
- Some of those negative people will be family! Clearly avoiding them altogether might be tough, but establishing new routines that decrease the time spent with them will work. You may feel a little guilty but at the end of the day it is the right answer.
- How do you get to spend time with entrepreneurs and successful people? Get introductions, join clubs, get involved with charities and get creative with your networking.
- Do you need to tell the negative people that you don’t want to spend time with them? There is no need to be rude or even obvious about this, just change your routines a little at a time and it will happen naturally.
“Surround yourself only with people who are going to lift you higher.” Oprah Winfrey
If you can spend the majority of your time with positive influencers it will change your life, and that is worth doing!