Eagle is currently seeking a Technical Writer. This is an eight-teen (18) month, contract position scheduled to start in April.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Writing learning and performance support documents and presentation material to support complex company applications and processes;
- Writing, editing, standardizing, or making changes to material prepared by other writers;
- Reviewing work to be used as communications such as content accuracy, clarity, proper grammar, tone and style, readability, and conformity to policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Providing editorial advice to clients in order to improve quality of documentation;
- Working with Subject Matter Experts to identify user needs and assist in prioritizing documentation needs;
- Observing production, developmental, and operational activities to determine operating procedure and detailing
- Developing an understanding of complex applications through a combination of training sessions, existing documentation, one-on-one sessions with SME or developers and independently using the application;
- Identifying and reporting documentation errors to SME or found during testing or editing;
- Providing clients with drafts at regular intervals for review and approval;
- Maintaining an understanding of applications and levels of user proficiency;
- Communicating with clients on a regular basis to clarify requirements and providing regular status updates;
- Creating project documents to support project activities and tasks such as Service Offering, Task List in Excel, and Status Reports if required;
- Establishing and following file management standards such as work in progress, under review and approved documents stored in central location to ensure proper backup techniques
- Providing regular project status updates to Project Manager; and,
- Maintaining effective relationships with peers on team and amongst key stakeholders and developing broad understanding of the corporate systems and processes.
Skills and Qualifications
The qualified candidate must have:
- University degree in a related field, such as Journalism, Communications or English with minimum five years’ experience writing user and system documentation in an IT environment or a Technical Writing certification or diploma;
- Excellent Initiative and strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong planning skills;
- Demonstrate resourcefulness, initiative and attention to detail;
- Strong customer insight to understand and interpret client needs;
- Ability to be adaptable to changing environment and ability to handle changing work or project environments with composure and confidence;
- Strong working knowledge of MS suite of products such as MS Work and Excel in particular;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot complex user applications and document their usage;
- Ability to learn new technical writing or other software applications as needed;
- Previous experience with PeopleSoft Financials (an asset);
- Previous experience authoring Requests for Proposals (an asset);
- Previous experience working in the financial or insurance industry (an asset);
- Understanding of XML or other markup languages (an asset);
- Understanding and application of DITA principles (an asset); and,
- Ability to communicate in both official languages (an asset).
Don’t miss out on this opportunity, apply online today!
Eagle is an equal opportunity employer and will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that your application does not signify the beginning of employment with Eagle and that employment with Eagle will only commence when placed on an assignment as a temporary employee of Eagle.