Whatever your position in life you will take pleasure from success. There seems to be one consistent factor when dealing with successful people — they find ways to overcome the barriers in their way.
In other words, the best way to achieve success is to focus on how to get it, not on why you can’t do it. So if your habit is to focus on the problems and why you can’t achieve the success you want, then you need to change that thinking. Instead you need to step back and look at what you could possibly do to achieve your goal. Here are some tips:
- Keep the end in mind. Don’t focus on the problem or barrier, instead, focus on the end result.
- Brainstorm. Write down every thought you might have about how to get to that end result no matter how outlandish.
- Set Small Goals. If the goal is BIG, then try to develop interim goals. If you set a goal of becoming the lead project manager on a multi-million dollar project but have no project management experience, you might want to start with taking a few courses in that area!
- Collaborate. When you have crystallized your goal in your mind and have some thoughts about how to get there, talk to others. Two heads are better than one, and the more people discussing and brainstorming the issue the better. For example, if you have a business issue, involve your peers and anyone else you think might be able to bring ideas to the table. Do NOT underestimate the creativity of the junior members of your team.
- Focus. All of this needs to happen with a total focus on the issue. You cannot be doing this in between your regular tasks, the next big deadline etc. Set aside dedicated time; it doesn’t need to be days but perhaps an hour or four!
- Humility. Don’t think you need to have all the answers. Give credit to those who do help. Be willing to help others when they need it!
- Believe! If you don’t believe that you can succeed then your chances are dramatically reduced. Everything is possible you just need to find the key!
Success — whether it is winning a new contract, learning a new skill, or even achieving a level of fitness — is achievable. It takes work, it takes commitment and it takes a little courage. Are you up for it?